Pages

Thursday, October 2, 2014

7 items

In an effort to switch things up around here, the Mr. and I had the idea for him to help me with a “style challenge,” of sorts. He chose 7 items, and I had to figure out how to wear them, all in 7 days. There was to be no repeating, and I could not double up items in 1 day.

So, 7 different items to style, in 7 days. Sounds easy, right? Shouldn’t be TOO difficult. I mean, it wasn’t IMPOSSIBLE, but it wasn’t as easy as just throwing on what I want to wear every day. However, I did it! And he even gave me 1 easy item – my running shoes, since this week happened to include my most recent half marathon.

Here are the 7 items he chose, and a little blurb of information from him (below). The next several posts will show how I styled these items, and his rationale behind choosing each of them for me: the jeans he’s always liked (they’re from high school), the brown shoes & blue plaid belt, I hardly wear, and the running shoes, so I could run my race.

button up shirt: AĆ©ropostale
dress: from a friend
sequined skirt: Lauren Conrad via Kohl's
jeans: American Eagle
belt: American Eagle
running shoes: Mizuno via Zappos (Mizuno Wave Inspire 10)
loafers: MIA
From the Mr
"I got to pick 7 items out of Annie’s closet and she had to create an outfit with each of them for the next 7 days. I debated playing a mean joke and picking out swim suits and winter jackets, but I guess the nice side of me won and I picked the above 7 items for her to work with. I tried to give her a bit of a challenge, and threw in a couple of easy ones as well. I think she pulled off each outfit like the beautiful, stylish, and confident woman I know her to be."

I’m really into the idea of challenging myself when it comes to my wardrobe and this blog, especially lately. It’s so easy for me to fall into the trap of wailing “I have nothing to wear!” But being forced to flex my creativity within certain confines/”rules” really makes me look at what I already have in a whole new way. For example: having 7 items I could wear in any order, but having to style them, all in a week’s time span, made me evaluate more of the items still hanging in my closet.

All of that being said, I’m completing another 30 for 30 Challenge for the month of October – I’m currently completing it, but am backlogged with other outfits to share, so look for those later this month. The “rules” are about the same – maybe 1 or 2 tweaks to what I’ve done in the past.

If you know of any other fashion/style challenges I should try, please share! I’m really interested in hearing if anyone else (besides style/fashion bloggers) does this, or if you have any great ideas to share with me – I really like having to stretch my mind and closet, as well as get creative in how I make my closet really “work for me."

5 comments:

  1. I love this idea! I have so many items in my closet I never wear because its easy to throw the things i like more on ....or steal ideas from you. I think the greatest things in my closet id never get to wear are fashion belts and all my flats since flip flops are conveniently there. Love it when you add flats into the mix and gives me motivation to get to wear them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I can help!! This brought a huge smile to my face! Think you'll consider doing a "challenge" of sorts with your belts and flats?

      Delete
    2. I guess Ill have to try now, wont i? Guess motivation is what i need. So ill give your challenge a try haha. But ill probably keep "borrowing" ideas from you in the long run. Keep up the cute posts.
      -Patricia

      Delete
  2. How fun!!! Love the sequins!
    xo
    styleontheside.com

    ReplyDelete